|Altered ‘cigar’ box for the May 2019 ReneaBouquet Facebook Swap!|
**Someone mentioned the word ‘tutorial,’ and I’ll try that here as best I can…
I do have a computer and a webcam and everything, BUT in early 2018 the power supply on my computer fried itself…I mean there were sparks and everything! And well my computer works well enough-ish, I’m pretty sure the motherboard took some damage because it hasn’t been quite right since (and my webcam tends to overpower it now). All this happened right before we moved almost 2300 miles, so getting my computer back to 100% hasn’t been a priority! (Although dealing with it being like 85% is starting to get on my nerves A LOT!)**
Ok…the short and sweet “tutorial.”
I used Art Glitter Adhesive to hold the papers to the wood. The lid has the 13 @rts paper, and the bottom is only wrapped on the sides with the Hip Kit Club paper (the bottom of the box is just white gesso). I used quite a bit of glue, basically “painting” a thin layer where it would be touching the paper and burnishing it down with the edge of my bone folder and some elbow grease. And I let it dry a full day before moving on to the next layer!
I did not gesso my paper, gesso is wet and I found that to be a risk I didn’t want to take! I used Krylon Workable Fixative as a protective coating before gluing down the Mould pieces, flowers, 7 Gypsies doilies, and ReneaBouquet Grid Beautiful Board. All of these parts, except the Beautiful Board which has it’s own coating, needed gesso before the next step.
Next I did the bits of embossing.
Now, the really wet, “please let the glue and Krylon work their best,” part! First, I had to spritz water where I was planning on adding all those Lindy’s & Jaquard powders, then I had to add more water on top of the powders! I did heat dry, and there is more than one layer of powders (Between the layers I used more Krylon Workable Fixative so there would be no reactivation of the lower levels!). I did the same technique along the sides of the bottom, except there was only one layering of powders. And, because I heat dry the powders, it reheated the embossing powder which caused it to push it’s way through in spots!!
Now, to help everything withstand being used, there is three (I think) coats of (Mod Podge) acrylic sealer. Some is glossy, some is matte. Yes, I did it that way on purpose!
After all that was dry I added the feet, hinges, and latch, then the butterflies and cabachon.
*The cabachon is a 50mm dome on top of a piece from Tim Holtz’s Botanical Layers & a ReneaBouquet butterfly, adhered with JudiKins Diamond Glaze. The edges are done with Finnabair waxes, White Gold & Peacock.*
- Beautiful Board – Grid Elements
- Butterfly Kisses
- Delicate Beauty (the black & white butterflies)
- My Romantic Heart (the butterfly under the cabochon)
- Aqua Flora
- Countless Love
- Color Dazzel
- Lotus Stencil
- Magical Shaker
- Alpine Ice Rose
- Bratwurst Brown
- Grab A Guy Gold
- Reflex Violet
- Misty Lavender
- Seth Apter
- Baked Texture
- Patina Oxide
- Big Emboss It
- Tim Holtz
- Botanical Layers
- Art Alchemy Wax
- Vintage Silk
- Mint Sparkle
- Electric Violet
- White Gold
- Box feet