This months challenge over at the More Than Words blog was “Happiness & Sketch.” I love the sketch provided, but it took me a bit to figure out exactly what to do, and even then it was an accident! I was just playing with some old photos and new filters on my computer when I just happened to apply the on seen to this old photo I have from a family trip to the beach! The two children in the foreground are my mom and [one of] my uncles! Anyhow, as soon as that filter was applied everything just clicked (mostly) in my head!
With the sketch I, basically, did a “mirror down” lift of it, and as for happiness, who wouldn’t love going to the beach?!?! Actually, I’m not much of a beach person, but I think that’s because I’d prefer the beach if the word “private” preceded it!! LOL (My mom on the other hand, L-O-V-E-S the beach, so I’m sure she loved this day and was happy to play in the ocean!)
(As a side note, when everything clicked when the filter was applied to the photo that made me happy, but I don’t know if that counts for the challenge!! ROFL)
I’m hoping. I lost some productivity time this month when I upgraded my computer. I have the parts recorded. Editing is an entirely different process!
Beautiful Board Laser Cut Chipboard
The Paper Studio
We R Memory Keepers
- Small Pearls Of Wisdom Frame
- Texture Pebbles
- The “netting” was packaging I up-cycled!
|My great grandmother, about 82 years ago!
The majority of this layout is made using products that came in the June 2019 Tres Jolie Kit Club Scrapbooking Kit (product list below), and was created for the June Sketch Challenge hosted by Kim & the Tres Jolie Kit Club!
|I just love 49 & Market, and those laser cut shapes made this layout go together much faster than fussy cutting flowers!!
|Adding some foam under the photo gives it just a little lift from the layers underneath.
|I set out with a goal to see if I could use an entire package of flowers on a layout! I think it’s a first for me!
|I just happened it have the perfect Say It In Crystals in my stash for this project!
|Another big, flower milestone for me…using a mix of flat & 3D flowers. I don’t know if I’ve ever really succeeded at it. It always makes me panic!
|A bit of the lace from the Tres Jolie Kit & a ReneaBouquets Heart Paper Clip for some little touches.
- [From the] Tres Jolie June 2019 Scrapbooking Kit
- Bold & Beautiful Collection
- Dear John
- Edge of Reason
- Laser Cut Shapes
- Beautiful Board Heart Paper Clips
Art Glitter Glue
Silly Winks Sticky Back Foam Sheet
Liquitex Clear Gesso
- White Crackle Texture Paste
I started scrap-booking way back in 2009 when a friend asked me if I wanted to come over and scrap with her one night. At the time I was only thinking it would give me something to do…well, I haven’t stopped since! Honestly, at the time, I thought it was just putting photos down on paper and I think I might have actually said, “you know, they make photo albums for that!”
Anyhow, I have often wanted to go back and “fix” my earlier layouts and More Than Words
gave me the perfect motivation this month! Truthfully I have been wanting to go back and “fix” this particular layout for a while (the before photo is a bit further down!). At the time I made it (mid-2010, according to the date of the photo of the layout), I hadn’t been scrap-booking very long, maybe 7-8 months. I didn’t have a lot of supplies, I think all my paper still fit in a single Iris 3″ Scrapbook Case! Then I found out people sew on their layouts! “SEW!!! Why didn’t I think of that! I have a sewing machine! I’m gonna sew!”
This months More Than Words Challenge is “Favorite & Scraplift Yourself.”
What does the word FAVORITE inspire you to create?
You can choose to use the actual word somewhere on your project
or simply be inspired by it. Please explain in your blog post
how it inspired you if it isn’t obvious in your work.
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens – are these a few of your favorite things? As an extention to our word inspiration this month, we want you to find a favorite old project of your own and SCRAPLIFT YOURSELF! You can copy the design, the colours or any part of the project, so long as the project was created by you. Please share the original project in your post so we can see both the original and the scraplifted pieces.
The word “favorite” has a two part inspiration for me.
- Sewing is still one of my favorite techniques on layouts.
- These are some of my favorite photos! Especially the look on my sons face while the eggs are being counted! (No, that’s not me counting them with him in the photo! I was the one behind the camera!!)
As for scraplifting myself, I lifted technique (sewing), and colors (I actually used paper from the same DCWV stack!)
I took “Reinvent and old favorite” very literally! LOL!!
Ok…are you ready now? Ready to see the original?
Here it is:
|The original, and my VERY first time sewing on a layout!
|The original paper that the original title had been cut from!
|What a difference nine years of “practice” makes!
Cut Files & Fonts (new layout):
- Sweet Pea Sketch (Font) #86121
- PN Flittering Bold (Font) #191827
- SG Easter Egg Dingbats #256084
- Chevron Easter Eggs #121232
- Easter Eggs #24502
Products (new layout):
Hip Kit Club
Die Cuts With A View
- Large Alpha Used For “HUNT”
A Flair For Buttons (Etsy)
- Holiday Stack?? (around 2009-10)
- All three buttons … at least I’m pretty sure because my collection was “manhandled” by a 2 & 6 yo in April when my niece & nephew came to visit! But who can resist colorful, shiny objects?!?!
- Peacock Feathers
- Squeezed Lemonade
- Washi Tape
- Tissue Paper
- White Cardstock (scrap pile!)
- **All the other patterened papers. (They came in a SSS kit at least two years ago, but SSS “tears” off random chunks of pads …)
Original Layout Products & Fonts (that I can remember):
Die Cuts With A View
- “53 Eggs” came from a Cricut Cartridge. I don’t know which one, it’s been a long time! I want to say it had the word “Basic” in it …
- Holiday Stack?? (around 2009-10)
|My sons … a few (13!) years ago!
For the month of February the More than Words Challenge was “Always & Quote.” My favorite quote of all time is by Helen Keller, “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be see or even touch – they must be felt with the heart.” The greatest of all emotions is Love, and I don’t think there is a greater love than parental love – Always.
A quick overview of what I did:
- I first coated the Creative Embellishments Heart Flourish in the Prima Pastes and set it aside to dry.
- I started with some clear gesso on the background, then added the stenciling & embossing.
- All parts from the Prima Mould were coated in black gesso, then Bronze Age wax…and I just started stacking and arranging and gluing the ReneaBouquets Grid with the gears…And hoping for the best! LOL!
- Then the pastes … layering and mixing and blending and watering down and building back up and drying … and doing it all over again!
- The hearts & “Always” were both coated in black gesso, but the hearts only have Electric Violet Metallique Wax & “Always” has a mix of Electric Violet, Old Denim, and Mint Sparkle on top of Bronze Age.
|Cluster at top of page.
|Cluster at bottom left of page.
|Area under photo.
- [From the] Tres Jolie February Scrapbooking Kit
- Midnight Garden Collection “Old Map”
- Chalk Black Gears
- Chalk Black Words
Rust Effect Paste
- Bronze Age
- Electric Violet
- Old Denim
- Mint Sparkle
Vintage Trinkets (Clock)
- Burnt Sienna
- Royal Blue
- Antiquities Embossing Powder
Silhouette Pen – Black
- Aged Mahogany Distress Oxide
- All the other gears not from the Prima Mould!
|A layout, with a photo I took, using the Tres Jolie February scrapbooking kit.
I was smitten with the 13@rts paper used for the background, and fortunately Mother Nature let the first signs that spring will return peek out so I could have a photo that matched the colors perfectly!
I grabbed my Ranger Gold Embossing Powder, TCW Paste, & my Art Anthology Lotus stencil for the background, and the bit of ribbon on the bottom I’ve had for a few years!
Under the photo I cut apart Prima’s “Rose Receipts” for layers and fussy cut “Midnight Garden” for the darker flowers peeking out at the top and bottom of the stack.
All of the “top flowers” (the ones with centers showing!) came from the Prima flower packs that were included with the February Tres Jolie Kit, and I dug into my stash for the “bottom flowers” (the ones where only petal peek out!) and the leaves.
Prima Midnight Garden Collection
- February 2019 Scrapbooking Kit
Art Anthology Lotus Stencil
The Paper Studio
- Rose Receipts (12×12)
- Midnight Garden (12×12)
- This Place (Flower Pack)
- Dark Romance (Flower Pack)
- Bright Lace Ribbon Scrap Pk
AC This to That
JudiKins Diamond Glaze
- Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste
A full 12×12 layout using only items from my Counterfeit Kit! I once scrapbooked with limited supplies because I was just getting started with this craft, working from this kit reminds me of those days, and forces me to really think.
As a bonus, I actually finished off two packages of embellishments! Granted neither of them were all that full, but it felt good to use something up, better than I thought it would! I know buying new is fun and exciting, but finally using all of a product or that “special” paper is (almost as) exciting!
My Great Dane, Lucy, laying in the pond after an afternoon walk.
Over at scrapbook.com I host a monthly challenge, “The Ugly Games.” Each month “tributes” are given someone to send two papers and (at least one) embellishment to. The receiver is then challenged with creating a layout using all or part of the papers, as long as they are recognizable, well the embellishment(s) are optional and count towards two extra votes! This isn’t to say the papers are ugly, but the combination is meant to be U-G-L-Y, or at least something that wouldn’t normally be used together! It really teaches one to think about papers differently and how to combine different colors and patterns!
For the May 2018 Challenge I was sent the following papers and set of stickers:
The layout they became is at the top of this post and here:
The cut file used here is “Piece of the Pie,” from The Cut Shoppe (Etsy). I cut the outer edge of the shape in the yellow paper, then the “outline” in the red & white paper! With the stickers I coated them in clear gesso so I could apply watercolors to them, then used the hearts and flowers on the layout!
- Hip Kit Club Exclusive Die Cuts
- Pentel Water Brush
- Clear gesso
- American Crafts – Lovely Day Collection – 12 x 12 Double Sided Paper – Up
- American Crafts – Little By Little Collection – 12 x 12 Double Sided Paper – Li’l Bit
- American Crafts – Little By Little Collection – Thickers – Hello Joy
- Echo Park – Summer Dreams Collection – Enamel Dots
- Scotch ATG – Adhesive Applicator Gun – Pink
- Sharpie – Fine Point – Writing Pens – Black – 2 Pack
- Silhouette America – Cameo Version 3 – Electronic Cutting System
- Silhouette America – Cameo Version 3 – Autoblade
- Tonic Studios – Tim Holtz – Non-Stick Micro Serrated Scissors – 7 Inches
- Prima – Watercolor Confections – Tropicals
- Tonic Studios – Tim Holtz – Mini-Snips – 5 Inches
- Crate Paper – Chasing Dreams Collection – 12 x 12 Double Sided Paper – Moment
- American Crafts – Little By Little Collection – 12 x 12 Double Sided Paper – Cultivate Joy
|Smile layout, featuring your truly!
Over at scrapbook.com there is the “Round Robin” challenge, which is basically how it sounds. Inspiration is posted, in the case of this month, a lovely autumn themed image with the quote “Even though we can’t have all we want, we ought to be thankful we don’t get what we deserve” on it. So, it inspired me this way: I am 4 1/2 years old in this photo, and obviously upset about SOMETHING which I’m sure at the time was because I didn’t get what I wanted or didn’t get my way, hence why I linked this photo with the quote. And, I also threw in some leaves and I have mostly autumn colors on this layout. So there you have it, my Round Robin layout! Now it’s week two’s turn to be inspired by my layout!
This layout is also going to be entered in the Stuck?! Sketches November 1st sketch challenge, which is to use the following sketch! Instead of three photos, I cut one photo into three pieces! I also flipped the sketch on its head for my layout!
|Stuck?! Sketches Nov. 1, 2017 Sketch
Hip Kit Club
- Vibes: Mango Tango
- Inklingz: Old Yeller
- Creameez: Lapis Dance
- Harvest Dreams: Warm & Fuzzy
- Black Letters & Numbers Sticker Sheet
- 12 x 12 Double Sided Paper – Make a Wish
- Escape the Ordinary Collection
- 12 x 12 Double Sided Paper – Transform
- Chipboard Stickers
- Ephemera Pack with Foil Accents
- Art Basics – Mixed Media Silicone Brush – 2 Inch
Sharpie – Fine Point – Writing Pen
- Water Brush – Detailer Brush Nib
Orange & White Twine … umm, I kinda threw the wrapper in the trash!
White tissue paper
The pink gems I got in a Birds of a Feather Kit back in 2014 … I think
- Cardstock Stickers – Alphabet and Label
During the last weekend of October, the husband and I went to the wedding of two very dear friends (the couple I made this card for), this is a layout I did featuring a photo I took during their first dance as husband and wife.
All of the papers on here I’ve had for at least 18 months. Apparently they were all waiting for this wedding! The lace is some eBay “vintage lace” I bought a few months back, and the flowers have been in hording for a long, long time!
This layout was entered into a couple of Challenges over at scrapbook.com, the October Music Inspiration Challenge (the song picked for me was “A Taste of Honey,” and I used the line “yours was the kiss that awoke my heart” it just seemed rather fitting for the occasion!), the November Die Cutting Machine Challenge, and scrapbook.com’s Handmade for the Holidays.
|I absolutely LOVE the shard glitter glass and glass micro-beads from ReneaBouquets! (Links in Product List)
Not a lot of “special” techniques used here. I tore the papers, layered them with some lace, and then just started arranging flowers! Well, I did “dye” the paper flowers with some Distress Oxides & Shimmerz Paint!
Dear Lizzy Date Stamp
Prima E-Line White Flower Mix
Bazzill “Vanilla” Cardstock (song lyrics are on)
Bella! Something Blue Paperz “Tittle”
Bella Blvd – Ciao Chip – Self Adhesive Chipboard – Words – Today
Chickaniddy Crafts – 365 Collection – 12 x 12 Double Sided Paper – Weekend Wonders
Little Birdie Crafts – Classic Elements Collection – Beaded Fancies – White
McGill Paper Blossoms Collection – Tool Kit
- Butter Cream Paint
- Tuscan Sun Spritz
- Finnabair – Art Basics – 3D Gloss Gel – 8 Ounces
- Paintables – 12 x 12 Paper – Roses
- Archival Ink Pad – Jet Black
- Glossy Accents
Scotch ATG – Adhesive Applicator Gun – Pink – Uses One Fourth Inch Adhesive
- Distress Oxides Ink Pads – Antique Linen
- Distress Oxides Ink Pads – Faded Jeans
- Mini Ink Blending Tool – Round
Sizzix – Big Shot Plus – Starter Kit – White and Gray
Tonic Studios –
- Curio 3T Version – Electronic Cutting System
- Pen Holder
- Tim Holtz – Mini-Snips – 5 Inches
- Tim Holtz – Paper Distress
- 5 petal flower die
- Ivory & Silver Stamen
- Green floral wire
- Vintage lace
- Ivory “pearl” flower centers
- Tan-ish-Gold-ish Beads (on the two fabric flowers)